Monday, November 7, 2011

Usefulness and Desirability: Is Reading and Writing Well a Waste of Time?


“This thing that I made would be useful.” The Knife Maker

I began my day by watching this short film about knives made by hand (via Coudal Partners): http://thisismadebyhand.com/film/the_knife_maker

For me, a significant challenge I face as a teacher is convincing my skeptical students the usefulness of reading and writing well.  I sometimes lean to the practical – impressing upon them the importance of written communication skills and the ability to interpret and distill ideas in the digital age.  I’ve also rested my philosophy upon more personal considerations: that honing these skills will make one more interesting to peers, even popular, and as a last resort – that chicks dig it. The effects of my gambits, as much as they are measurable, are usually negligible.  (In any case, I am not sure that the popularity notion isn’t a bit of an untruth).

Is it useful and desirable to read and write well? Consider W. Somerset Maugham on reading:
“To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life.”
He ought to know. According to one biographer, Somerset Maugham was orphaned at the age of 10, stammered and was cruelly taunted by classmates, practiced medicine, a career he despised, in London’s slums, contracted TB, fled the Nazi’s in a coal barge, was unhappily married, and so on. During his lifetime he produced twenty or more novels, in addition to short stories, plays, and essays. His most famous novels; The Razor’s Edge (1944), and Of Human Bondage (1915), explore transcendent themes such as spiritual awakening, and the value of happiness. 
Should we read him now? Should my students spend time considering the plight of a club-footed protagonist, or the intimidating visage of a maharishi? OF COURSE THEY SHOULD! How to convince them? That is the question.
I have tried allowing them to select their own readings, and will save that debacle for another day. For now, I beg you dear readers to submit your suggestions.
 Happy Monday (note to self: buy handmade knife)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How old are your students>

Pamela R. Fry said...

The students I teach are adults, mostly 20-25, some slightly older. Thank you for reading!